What could be a better first post for the new year than a library visit? We’ve been up in Maine for some R&R and couldn’t resist checking out this adorable field stone library in the seaside town of Ogunquit.
Ogunquit, Maine has long been a summer resort town. In the late nineteenth century George and Nannie Conarroe of Philadelphia summered in the area for many years and fell in love with the quaint seaside town. When George passed away Nannie wanted to commemorate her husband and commissioned the Ogunquit Memorial Library in August 1897 as a lasting gift to the community. She also donated 1, 500 of her own books to get the collection started. The library opened its doors to the public in June 1898.
Designed by: Charles M. Burns in the H.H. Richardson Romanesque tradition.
Contractor: Edward B. Blaisdell of York.
On the National Register of Historic Places.
The box on the pole is a donation receptacle. The library relies on endowments and donations. It receives no federal, state, or local government funds.
A closer shot of the beautiful front doors which were handcrafted by Matthew Browne and The Rovnack Group in 2007.
At work: one of the three librarians who keep the library going. When we visited there were two locals returning, browsing, and checking out books. The librarian said they are a little slow in the winter (many of the town’s hotels, restaurants, and other businesses close over the winter months), but she added that the library is “well used” in the warmer months. When the library was first built the fireplace was its only source of heat.
Workspace and stacks in the addition that was added in 1914 by Luther Weare, one of the original trustees.