The last Classics Club Spin book was a bummer for me. Catch-22. Blah. It was the third time I tried to read that book and although I could appreciate the content to some extent, I couldn’t force myself through the repetitive vibe. It was a big ol’ DNF.
On Monday (March 7th) the grand wizards behind the Classics Club will post a number between 1-20 and Clubbers will be challenged to read whatever book falls under that number on our Spin Lists by May 2, 2016.
I’m hoping for #14, which would be The Grapes of Wrath for me, since I recently visited the National Steinbeck Center [post about that visit here].
Here is my list of hopefuls for this spin #12:
- The Monk, Lewis, 1796
- Pride and Prejudice, Austen, 1813
- The House of the Seven Gables, Hawthorne, 1851
- Crime and Punishment, Dostoyevsky, 1866
- Anna Karenina, Tolstoy, 1869
- Carmilla, Le Fanu, 1872
- The Bostonians, James, 1886
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, Twain, 1889 <— The Chosen One!
- Maurice, Forster, 1914
- The Good Soldier, Ford, 1915
- A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Joyce, 1916
- So Big, Ferber, 1924
- The Magic Mountain, Mann, 1924
- The Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck, 1939
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Smith, 1943
- From Here to Eternity, Jones, 1951
- The Price of Salt, Highsmith, 1952
- Lord of the Flies, Golding, 1954
- Giovanni’s Room, Baldwin, 1956
- Ship of Fools, Porter, 1962
What book are you excited about on your own list?